Friday, June 29, 2007

Britney Spears vs. Paris Hilton

The thing is, is...is that Britney was once the queen. She was supposed to inherit the crown from MADONNA, and you don't get much bigger than Madonna. The closest thing to her was Christina Aguwhatever but then CA won a Grammy and all of a sudden CA was legit and a critics fave and Britney had the bubble gum pop title all wrapped up. But now BS has fallen from grace and is the butt of every late night talk show joke. Meanwhile CA continues to make music but nobody really seems to care.
This whoisbigger post is about the fall of music in general. Pop music, rock music, even country music is on a downswing. And don't give me that "it's cause of the iPod" or "its cause of filesharing", cause I'm not buying it. Music is no longer big because of DVDs, home theaters, the movie industry, and YouTube. People just aren't listening to music as much as they used to. Certainly not in groups anyways, like in front of a boom box or while playing basketball or whatever.
Which is why we are reduced to comparing Britney to Paris. Cause you don't really get much bigger than Paris these days. She is it. And she put out an album, I think. Or at least a single. Britney is nowhere and Paris is everywhere and so I ask: Who is bigger? Mindless former popstar or mindless current tabloid star?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The thing is I would rather contemplate rock bands than pop/tabloid stars, but when push comes to shove I do have a subscription to US Weekly, and I have to give "the biggest" title to Britney because once upon a time in some way she earned her pop status. And when she falls she goes really far. Paris is and always will be a wannabe.

Anonymous said...

Definitely Britney because at one time she had talent: She can dance and sing. She's had huge hits. She was a pop star. Not in the same class as Madonna, I don't think, but a star nonetheless.

I still don't know what Paris does or is. Just a rich girl, I guess.

I don't know that either of them is "Mindless". As far as I know, everyone has a mind, even young blond women.

Anonymous said...

I go with Britney. Bald and going Barry Bonds on a car with an umbrella? That's pure gold.

Paris is just a stupid, spoiled rich girl. Britney is bat-shit-crazy. Much more interesting.

Unknown said...

Britney - definitely. Her downfall started from veeeerry high. For Paris - it's just a change between standing up and sitting down.

And I'm pretty sure one Britney concert a few years ago pulled in more people than Paris will ever be able to attract.

Oops, I did it again...maybe she's coming back.

Phil said...

Britney has talent, Paris has none. Britney was rags to riches, Paris is a rag. Britney WILL make a comeback!!! Paris will die of an overdose or something soon.

Definitely Britney.

Anonymous said...

I think Britney may have won this one, if only for the fact that people love seeing her fail above all others. It's more than a little sad that she plasters the news these days, but there's no denying her popularity. Paris Hilton, though, is an excellent opponent. That 99% of Americans know exactly who she is, despite the fact that Paris has done nothing note-worthy for society, shows just how enormous her image is. I think people probably hate her more, reason being that her obscenely huge fortune was just handed to her, but there is not much else she's got going on. Paris' movie career was, um, short-lived, but Britney's done it all.

P.S.
Your wife is my English teacher. Weird, huh?