Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Radiohead or ColdPlay?

First of all thanks to all those who commented on the first posting. I'd say the people have spoken and the winner is Paul Simon.

Next up is Radiohead vs. ColdPlay. Another tough one for me, as Radiohead is in the Top 10 all time for me, and maybe my overall favorite band still actively making music.

But overall, I have to go with ColdPlay. They just are bigger all around. Bigger albums, more hits, and I think even more influence. Look at a band like Keane...would/could Keane exist if ColdPlay didn't? Also, ColdPlay passes the High School test...my wife teaches at Natick HS and tells me that more kids know/recognize/like ColdPlay than like Radiohead.

So, although Radiohead gets props for singlehandedly giving faith to the thousands of alternative-weaned 30 and 40 somethings out there who have not yet given up hope in pop/rock as a medium, ColdPlay is bigger: More commercially successful and more influential for pop bands currently making a living playing music.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sitting in Paris, as i write, listening to Coldplay Parachutes. Actually brought it with me. So although I think Radiohead has originality and longevity in its favor, the pure accessibility of Coldplay makes it the sure winner. Finally as a parent of 3 elementary aged children, I know they would all say that Coldplay is their favorite band.

Unknown said...

Radiohead's music is maybe a bit more to my liking...but Coldplay are without a doubt a lot bigger. Which band would a mother-in-law invite to play in her daughter's graduation party ;-)

Phil said...

Radiohead. Hands down. No question. ColdPlay is sounds so damn generic.

Coldplay may be bigger now, but decades from now, they'll be looked at as just another lame guitar band, while Radiohead will be remembered as innovators.

Anonymous said...

When I saw the title of this blog I thought maybe it was about whose mother is fatter. Because clearly the answer would be YOUR mother. Your mother is so fat, her blood type is Ragu. I'm sorry, that's an old joke. I'm sorry you had to read that. I never even met your mother. But let me just say, I took her to the opera and no one would leave until she sang.

Anycrap, Radiohead and Coldplay - Radiohead is a class act. "Kid A" is one of my favorite records in the last ten years, but I've never heard any of it on the radio. I'm not one of those people who hates Coldplay because they are so successful. They are talented group. I like the lyrics and they have a unique sound. But some of their tunes do have a similar sound (not the worst thing in the world) and because of the airplay they get, I can't listen to most of their hits anymore.

So if this is strictly a debate about who is "bigger," meaning airplay and record sales, there is no debate. Coldplay is friggin huge.

twistedsister said...

Sitting in North Central Mass, listening to my stomach rumble with hunger, I do remember once checking some Coldplay albums out of our public library. I found them to be entertaining but also highly forgettable. Case in point, I cannot at the moment remember any of their hits. (But like I said, I'm hungry. And I'm sure that were I to hear a hit on the radio I would probably be able to sing along.)

The next time I go to the library I will be sure to check and see if there are any Radiohead discs. I will then take my comments to a higher and more sophisticated level.

Peace Out,
Becky